[Intel-gfx] artefacts on 855 graphic

Clemens Eisserer linuxhippy at gmail.com
Sun Nov 28 15:52:01 CET 2010

Hi again,

> Yeah, I agree that Intel should not devote huge resources to this.
> That was why I was talking about Intel supporting a minimally
> maintained fork of an old working driver that did have good 3D support
> for legacy Intel hardware.

I guess a big problem with Linux are ever changing APIs/ABIs. If
you've created a driver for Windows Vista back in 2006 - you still
have no problems using the same binary with Windows-7, including Aero
and DirectX.

If you've created a ddx/mesa stack in 2006, it needs tons of work to
function properly with a modern distribution.
There are still releases of intel-2.4 and old mesa versions out, which
I guess would work fine when ported to latest xorg/kernel releases,
the question is simply who will maintain this stuff.

Good luck, Clemens