[Intel-gfx] artefacts on 855 graphic

Rémi Cardona remi at gentoo.org
Sun Nov 28 21:58:29 CET 2010

Le 27/11/2010 10:07, Alexey Fisher a écrit :
> Hallo all,
>
> i know it is known issue that 855 is not really working with current
> driver. But i wont to know if there is work in progress or any interest
> of back reports?

One of the bugs where 8xx issues are tracked is this one :

https://bugs.freedesktop.org/27187

In a nutshell, 8xx are in a sad state because the actual hardware was
poorly designed *and* it was validated using the available Windows
version at the time : XP.

The XP graphics stack does not push the driver/hardware like the modern
X stack does so all those bugs went unnoticed until Vista and DRI2/GEM
came out.

As for Chris's shadowfb effort, it seems to be held up in Limbo since
the 8xx user base is getting smaller everyday.

As far as my personal experience goes, the current git stack works ok on
my 855GM, albeit with a couple of rendering glitches with heavy Flash
applets. YMMV.

I'm of course just as annoyed as you to see (once) popular hardware with
such uneven levels of support after all these years.

Cheers,

Rémi