[Intel-gfx] Zaphod mode support?

Rasto Sramek rsramek at inf.ethz.ch
Wed Oct 6 16:50:34 CEST 2010

> AFAICT Zaphod mode is one device but multiple X servers (presumably
> used independently by different people).  I think very few drivers
> support it these days.
Well, whatever it is called, I am referring to the configuration when I
have a single X server but multiple screens, like screen0 and screen1.

> The modern approach is one "screen" divided among multiple monitors
> using RandR.  I'm not sure what fglrx and nvidia do.
Anything can of course use RandR, however at least nvidia drivers
support multiple screens. Afaik intel used to support it as well.
With nvidia one simply declares 2 monitors, and 2 screens.

> In any case, switching workspaces the way you want would be a feature
> of the window manager or compositing manager, not the driver.  If you
> use compiz + GNOME, try installing ccsm.  Then look in Desktop Wall /
> Viewport Switching and change the "Multimonitor behavior" setting.
> (If you're on Fedora and you enable compiz through desktop-effects,
> you'll need to modify /usr/bin/compiz-gtk like this:

I use fluxbox which needs screen0 and screen1. I know that awesome is
aware of xrandr and can simulate separate screen behavior but I do not
know of other WMs that can do so. The reason I prefer having
multiple screens is that it is in my view a simple and correct behavior
which has worked for years.

Thanks for the quick response!
Best regards,
Rasto