[Intel-gfx] Zaphod mode support?

Andrew Lutomirski luto at mit.edu
Wed Oct 6 16:29:10 CEST 2010

On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 10:03 AM, Rasto Sramek <rsramek at inf.ethz.ch> wrote:
> Hello *,
>
> sorry in case this has been raised many times. Zaphod mode support (In
> my understanding one card, one xserver, multiple screens) seems to not
> work in intel drivers anymore. Is that so?

AFAICT Zaphod mode is one device but multiple X servers (presumably
used independently by different people).  I think very few drivers
support it these days.

> If yes, are there any plans to re-introduce it? (Or does anyone know of
> a way to get this functionality from xrandr?) Up to now I used ati and
> nvidia cards and I lack this functionality in intel drivers.
> What annoys me most is the inability to change workspaces independently
> on the two screens. I can't believe I'm the only one.

The modern approach is one "screen" divided among multiple monitors
using RandR.  I'm not sure what fglrx and nvidia do.

In any case, switching workspaces the way you want would be a feature
of the window manager or compositing manager, not the driver.  If you
use compiz + GNOME, try installing ccsm.  Then look in Desktop Wall /
Viewport Switching and change the "Multimonitor behavior" setting.
(If you're on Fedora and you enable compiz through desktop-effects,
you'll need to modify /usr/bin/compiz-gtk like this:

function runCompiz() {
        gtk-window-decorator &
        if ( [ -e /usr/lib/compizconfig/backends/libgconf.so ] || [ -e
/usr/lib64/compizconfig/backends/libgconf.so ] )
        then
                exec compiz --ignore-desktop-hints ccp $@
        else
                #exec compiz --ignore-desktop-hints glib gconf gnomecompat $@
                exec compiz --ignore-desktop-hints ccp gnomecompat $@
        fi
}

due to a long-standing bug).

If you use metacity or kwin, you'll have to figure it out yourself :)

--Andy