[Intel-gfx] Core i5 Sandybridge: "Destroyed" by kernel?

Georg Grabler georg at grabler.net
Tue Mar 29 02:35:57 CEST 2011

Hi guys,

Well, I got my new notebook today, a Dell e6420 with Intel HD-3000 and a
Core i5 processor. Anyway, I didn't like the windows which was installed (it
worked at least though), so I wanted to install Linux, with quite .. strange
results:

First of all, the live cd i booted had stock kernel 2.6.38.0, which is quite
a recent one. Booting up, when loading the modules, the screen goes black
with white stripes to the right side (I took a picture you can have if you
want). That was all I could see, no booting lines, no X. Well, after
researching some on my 2nd machine, the screen of my laptop went black
(timed out / screensaver?), and when I moved the mouse - X appeared.

Although, it "flickered" a lot, and had a bunch of graphic glitches, but I
was able to install Linux. After I booted again, same result: Loading
modules -> laptop screen black, and white stripes to the right side. Same
picture as above.

Since I'm not easy to scare, I upgraded to 2.6.38.1 (i still could log in
with the flickering after the screen timed out once :D), still - the same
result. After a few reboots, I realized that the BIOS started to flicker a
lot as well, which started to make me nervous, so I took out my Windows cd
and realized - that's flickering now as well. I completely reinstalled
Windows with all recent drivers - still the flickering.

I tried again with openSUSE - same results.

Well now, it seem as if I have to send back the Laptop, not sure if I can
get guarantee on that one though, what's quite a loss, but probably I can
work out something with Dell (good luck with that, I know..).

What I wanted to know, are there any similar reports about this? I could not
find anything about linux destroying or not even "not working" with this
setup. The laptop is even supported with Ubuntu, so it "should" work I
guess, but this smells really like some problem with the intel drivers.

Best regards,
Georg