[Intel-gfx] help on graphic performance issue

Chris Wilson chris at chris-wilson.co.uk
Wed Apr 18 19:18:31 CEST 2012

On Wed, 18 Apr 2012 09:46:03 -0700, Guo Tang <guo.tang at sonoartis.com> wrote:
> We have a machine running ubuntu 10.04 (kernel versionĀ 2.6.32). The
> application is simple: It has a display area of 640x480 showing image
> at about 30Hz rate.
[snip]
> The application
> drawing is through GTK/Cairo. So not sure whether the problem is
> inside configuration of GTK, Cairo,  X or the
> Intel graphic driver.

Simply put, if you profile, you find most of the time is in XPutImage.
Without updating your graphics stack, your best option is to upload the
image data yourself either into an XShmPixmap (though I think your driver
is likely too old to support them) or through XShmPutImage into an
ordinary Pixmap. And then use that pixmap as the source for your Cairo
drawing operations, or directly into place if you don't require
compositing.

Your first step should be to define some performance targets so that you
can judge whether the current setup is an issue or not. And then you
should perform some system profiling so you know where the CPU time is
going and understand the problem better.