[Intel-gfx] Fan constantly running with Intel Graphics card

Patrick O'Byrne pobyrne2 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 16:28:35 CEST 2012

Hi,

I am having an issue with a new Dell E5520 laptop (Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2520 CPU
@ 2.5GHz) running Linux Mint 13 (Kernel: Linux 3.2.0-23-generic (i686)). I am
using the graphics driver that ships with the kernel:

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core
Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:0126] (rev 09)

My problem is that the fan is constantly on even though I am not doing any
intensive processing.  The laptop runs very nicely (quietly) when I boot into
Windows 7.

There was a recent post which suggests running the following commands:

$ cat /sys/kernel/debug/dri/0/i915_cur_delayinfo | grep Lowest
then echo that value into the max freq file, e.g.:
$ echo 400 > /sys/kernel/debug/dri/0/i915_max_freq

I tried this (and restarted the machine) but still no joy, it seems that in my
case GPU frequency is not to blame.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Patrick