[Intel-gfx] Second Life / HD Graphics 3000 / Linux / OpenGL

AW arne_woerner at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 20 19:00:45 CET 2012

Hi!

I use Fedora Core 16 on an Intel Core i7-2600K...
Intel says, that HD Graphics 3000 can do OpenGL 3.0 (Wikipedia even says 3.1),
but: SecondLife complains about insufficient graphix support...
It refuses to do "Bump mapping and shiny", "Basic shaders",
"Atmospheric shaders", "Lighting and Shadows", "Ambient Occlusion", "Depth of
Field", "Shadows", "Water Reflections", and some others...

It is more stable and faster than my previous box (dual core, no HT),
but: I miss the shiny surfaces and the clear water... :-)

Should I use my old PCIe GPU card in the new box?
Or is there some trick (most "CPU"s are almost idle...)? :-)

Thx.

Bye
Arne