[Intel-gfx] Second Life / HD Graphics 3000 / Linux / OpenGL

Eric Anholt eric at anholt.net
Fri Jan 20 21:24:24 CET 2012

On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 10:00:45 -0800 (PST), AW <arne_woerner at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I use Fedora Core 16 on an Intel Core i7-2600K...
> Intel says, that HD Graphics 3000 can do OpenGL 3.0 (Wikipedia even says 3.1),
> but: SecondLife complains about insufficient graphix support...
> It refuses to do "Bump mapping and shiny", "Basic shaders",
> "Atmospheric shaders", "Lighting and Shadows", "Ambient Occlusion", "Depth of
> Field", "Shadows", "Water Reflections", and some others...
>
> It is more stable and faster than my previous box (dual core, no HT),
> but: I miss the shiny surfaces and the clear water... :-)

Someone would have to take a look into what SL is testing to decide that
the hardware can't do what it wants.  MESA_GLSL=dump can sometimes get
you information about shaders they tried to compile that failed for some
reason (often due to shaders being invalid even though some other driver
passed them through).  Or it may be that they just want a higher version
of GL -- Mesa 8.0, with float textures enabled, exposes 3.0 on gen6.