[Intel-gfx] i915 problem with DVI to HDMI adapter: crazy colors

Daniel Vetter daniel at ffwll.ch
Mon Jul 9 10:11:43 CEST 2012

On Sun, Jul 08, 2012 at 06:33:14PM -0500, Dan Callahan wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm running Debian Wheezy (testing) on an Asus Eee Box B202 nettop
> which has an Intel 945GME chip and a DVI-I output.
>
> I'm trying to connect it to a Panasonic Viera TC-L42E50 HDTV via a
> DVI-to-HDMI adapter. The resolution and rendering acceleration all
> seem to be working fine, but the colors are very wrong: Black
> appears green, and white appears pink.
>
> This only happens when KMS kicks in and I'm going from DVI to HDMI.
> During POST and at the GRUB selection screen, everything looks
> great. Things also look fine over a DVI to VGA adapter,  or when KMS
> is disabled via i915.modeset=0. For photos, check out
> http://imgur.com/a/sVAx7
>
> I'm using Debian's stock 3.2.0-2-686-pae i686 kernel. A slightly
> similar issue was reported at http://bugs.debian.org/607529 and in
> an old thread here: http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/intel-gfx/2010-October/008315.html
> Alas, the patches mentioned in the above threads appear to have made
> it into the upstream kernel without resolving the issue on my
> hardware.
>
> I've attached the output of dmesg when booting with drm.debug=0x0e
> to this message. Please let me know if I can provide other
> information or be of further help. I'm all set up to recompile the
> i915 module, so I'm happy to test patches.

I guess this is yet another incarnation of us not properly setting up hdmi
infoframes. Can you please test with a 3.5-rc kernel, that one contains a
fix for sdvo hdmi support. Specifically

commit 81014b9d0b55fb0b48f26cd2a943359750d532db
Author: Daniel Vetter <daniel.vetter at ffwll.ch>
Date:   Sat May 12 20:22:00 2012 +0200

    drm/i915: fixup infoframe support for sdvo

If that doesn't help, please also attach the output of xrandr --verbose.

Yours, Daniel
Mail: daniel at ffwll.ch
Mobile: +41 (0)79 365 57 48