[Intel-gfx] Broken in 3.10.10 (was: Questions on display pipes on 835GM)

Thomas Richter thor at math.tu-berlin.de
Mon Oct 7 23:58:59 CEST 2013

On 06.10.2013 01:37, Daniel Vetter wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 6, 2013 at 1:09 AM, Thomas Richter<thor at math.tu-berlin.de>  wrote:
>>> Now if you follow the callchains around the dvo->dpms callbacks the DVO
>>> port and DPLL are always enabled at that point in time, so I think we
>>> should be able to fix this all by moving the modeset code around to that
>>> place.
>>

>> True, but probably with the high-speed bit in the wrong state.
>
> We always program the dpll with the high-speed select bit set when
> using it for a DVO port, so this will also automatically be taken care
> of.

Actually, I was testing with the 3.10.10 kernel here. Unfortunately, I
need to tell you that 3.11.4 and 3.12.0-rc.4 does *not work at all*. All
I get on these kernel releases is a blank screen, though with a working
mouse cursor. Apparently, nothing is rendered on the screen at all.
Otherwise, it does the same as 3.10.10, namely lock up if I connect an
external monitor during bootstrap.

For 3.12.0-rc.4, if I connect the monitor *after* bootup on the gdm
login, I first see nothing on the external screen, and the mouse pointer
on the internal TFT. Then, after logging in blindly, the cursor appears
at the external monitor, the system beeps and then crashes and hangs.

Thus, sorry, but: broken in 3.11 and up...

Sorry for the bad news, please try try again.

Thomas