[Intel-gfx] i810 forgets configured rows & columns on ttys on startx shutdown

Daniel Vetter daniel at ffwll.ch
Tue Oct 29 13:54:01 CET 2013

On Tue, Oct 29, 2013 at 08:00:20AM -0400, Felix Miata wrote:
> On 2013-10-29 09:51 (GMT+0100) Daniel Vetter composed:
>
> >Felix Miata wrote:
>
> >>Pre-KMS it used to be that common vga= modes were useless, so I took to
> >>using 0x121 to escape from 80x25 screens. Using 0x8121 required specifying
> >>an appropriate font via config file. Even after KMS began, vga=0x8121
> >>continued to work, and still does at least through kernel 3.4.47.
>
> >This is still pre-kms, there's no kms driver for i810 chipsets. So
> >whatever bug there is might be just bad luck or the userspace X driver
> >not restoring stuff correctly. But I'm pretty sure it's not a kernel
> >bug, at least no in the i810 driver.
>
> I was hoping for a (what appears to be a "not our bug") response
> that was more helpful WRT whose bug it likely is. To me it's clearly
> a bug report that either can be found or needs to be made at
> bugs.freedesktop.org, but in what component?
> https://bugs.freedesktop.org/describecomponents.cgi?product=xorg has
> a long list, among which there is only one that includes the string
> intel, Driver/intel, which is what this list seems to be about. Does
> it look like Server/General, Server/DDX/Xorg, or something else? As
> it manifest in more than one distro, it surely isn't likely to be
> downstream.

Userspace modesetting is known to be racy and broken, so people don't
really want to waste time on digging into bugs which are most likely
flukes. But if you can bisect this issue to a specific patch a fix should
be possible.
-Daniel
Software Engineer, Intel Corporation
+41 (0) 79 365 57 48 - http://blog.ffwll.ch