[Intel-gfx] i810 forgets configured rows & columns on ttys on startx shutdown

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 30 00:19:50 CET 2013

On 2013-10-29 13:54 (GMT+0100) Daniel Vetter composed:

> Felix Miata wrote:

>> >This is still pre-kms, there's no kms driver for i810 chipsets. So
>> >whatever bug there is might be just bad luck or the userspace X driver
>> >not restoring stuff correctly. But I'm pretty sure it's not a kernel
>> >bug, at least no in the i810 driver.

>> I was hoping for a (what appears to be a "not our bug") response
>> that was more helpful WRT whose bug it likely is. To me it's clearly
>> a bug report that either can be found or needs to be made at
>> bugs.freedesktop.org, but in what component?
>> https://bugs.freedesktop.org/describecomponents.cgi?product=xorg has
>> a long list, among which there is only one that includes the string
>> intel, Driver/intel, which is what this list seems to be about. Does
>> it look like Server/General, Server/DDX/Xorg, or something else? As
>> it manifest in more than one distro, it surely isn't likely to be
>> downstream.

> Userspace modesetting is known to be racy and broken, so people don't
> really want to waste time on digging into bugs which are most likely
> flukes. But if you can bisect this issue to a specific patch a fix should
> be possible.

Again I got no clear answer to the question asked, so I guess now it's fair
to assume this must be the right place for discussion after all.

I've installed openSUSE 12.3. Its 3.7.10-1.16-default and server 1.13.2
behave nicely. Beyond installing Mageia 3 to get 3.8.13 and 1.13.4, and as
one who does not build software even via proxy, I'm open to suggestions how
to get kernels and/or other xorg versions needed to perform bisection.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/