[Intel-gfx] [RFC 10/44] drm/i915: Prepare retire_requests to handle out-of-order seqnos

Daniel Vetter daniel at ffwll.ch
Wed Jul 9 16:08:25 CEST 2014

On Mon, Jul 07, 2014 at 09:05:50PM +0200, Daniel Vetter wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 06:24:01PM +0100, John.C.Harrison at Intel.com wrote:
> > From: John Harrison <John.C.Harrison at Intel.com>
> >
> > A major point of the GPU scheduler is that it re-orders batch buffers after they
> > have been submitted to the driver. Rather than attempting to re-assign seqno
> > values, it is much simpler to have each batch buffer keep its initially assigned
> > number and modify the rest of the driver to cope with seqnos being returned out
> > of order. In practice, very little code actually needs updating to cope.
> >
> > One such place is the retire request handler. Rather than stopping as soon as an
> > uncompleted seqno is found, it must now keep iterating through the requests in
> > case later seqnos have completed. There is also a problem with doing the free of
> > the request before the move to inactive. Thus the requests are now moved to a
> > temporary list first, then the objects de-activated and finally the requests on
> > the temporary list are freed.
>
> I still hold that we should track requests, not seqno+ring pairs. At least
> the plan with Maarten's fencing patches is to embedded the generic struct
> fence into our i915_gem_request structure. And struct fence will also be
> the kernel-internal represenation of a android native sync fence.
>
> So splatter ring+seqno->request/fence lookups all over the place isn't a
> good way forward. It's ok for bring up, but for merging we should do that
> kind of large-scale refactoring upfront to reduce rebase churn. Oscar
> knows how this works.

Aside: Maarten's driver core patches to add a struct fence have been
merged for 3.17, so no the requirements to directly go to the right
solution and embedded struct fence into i915_gem_request and start to
refcount pointers properly is possible. Possible without intermediate
hacks to add a struct kref directly to i915_gem_request as an intermediate
step.
-Daniel
Software Engineer, Intel Corporation
+41 (0) 79 365 57 48 - http://blog.ffwll.ch