[Intel-gfx] Question regarding forcewake in i915

Dave Gordon david.s.gordon at intel.com
Mon Jan 12 09:47:10 PST 2015

On 07/01/15 08:13, Jaeyong Yoo wrote:
> Thanks a lot. It is very helpful. Couple of follow-up questions below.

No, polling these registers doesn't affect the wake state; they're in a
power domain that's not itself controlled by FORCEWAKE.

Either sequence (1-2-3-4-5 or 5-1-2-3-4) is valid. But if we use the
former sequence, the CPU will be busy polling in step 5 for however long
it takes the GPU to finish whatever else it's doing internally and then
acknowledge the write to FORCEWAKE, which could take a while.

By moving step 5 to the beginning of the sequence, the CPU can get on
with unrelated tasks during this time, so in general by the time it gets
round to needing to access FORCEWAKE again the previous write will have
completed and the CPU will see the ACK on the first read. So the
modified sequence allows greater parallelism between GPU and CPU.

[Aside]: if the driver needs to make a whole sequence of accesses, then
it's better to turn on FORCEWAKE once and hold it across the whole
sequence and then release it at the end, rather than setting it around
each access individually. See execlists_elsp_write() in intel_lrc.c for
an example.
[/Aside]

> And, additionally, I saw calling "__gen6_gt_wait_for_thread_c0" after step (2).
> Does it mean after FORCEWAKE_ACK is acknowledged, the hardware (possible ACPI)
> Sets the thread to C0 state?
> And is it noticible via GEN6_GT_THREAD_STATUS_REG (0x13805c)?
>
> Thanks,
> Jaeyong

I'm not the expert on that, but it /looks/ like the intent is for the
driver to wait when waking up the GPU not only for the write to the
FORCEWAKE register to be acknowledged, but also for the GT unit to be
fully active (which might take longer).

It polls the register you mention, and the comment suggests that if we
don't wait here, other registers read /via/ the GT unit might appear to
be zero when they aren't really.

I note that it's described as a workaround on SNB/IVB/HSW only, so it
may be that the original expectation was that seeing FORCEWAKE_ACK set
meant that the chip was ready for access, but it turned out that in some
circumstances the GT unit took longer than expected to become ready and
so it had to be polled separately.

.Dave.