[Intel-gfx] Debugging registers (INSTPS, CSCMDOP, CSCMDVLD, ...)

Dave Gordon david.s.gordon at intel.com
Mon Jan 19 04:52:38 PST 2015

On 15/01/15 07:38, Jaeyong Yoo wrote:
> Hello Daniel and other maintainers,
>
> While I'm working on drm memory allocator with myself, I've encountered render ring hang.
> And I am noticed that I can diagnose the command streamer's status with the following registers:
>
> INSTPS: 0x2070
> CSCMDOP: 0x220c
> CSCMDVLD: 0x2210
> INSTDONE_1: 206C
>
> I can see the general description of such registers in the following PDF.
> http://www.x.org/docs/intel/VOL_1_graphics_core.pdf
>
> But, sadly, this document does not provide a field description for implementation specific registers.
> I appreciate if you point me to such information in Haswell architecture?
>
> Best regards,
> JY

Hi,

have you looked at intel-gpu-tools, available from
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/app/intel-gpu-tools/ ?

It includes tools to decode specific registers (such as INSTDONE) and
describe what the various bits mean (have a look at lib/instdone.c).

There's also a tool to decode an error dump, which is a commonly used
means of tracking down a GPU hang.

Hope this helps,
.Dave.