[Intel-gfx] Reviving the LPSS PWM patches

Lluís Batlle i Rossell viric at viric.name
Wed Apr 6 10:56:13 UTC 2016

On Tue, Apr 05, 2016 at 09:06:25PM +0200, Lluís Batlle i Rossell wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 05, 2016 at 12:39:30PM +0200, Lluís Batlle i Rossell wrote:

> > Definitely I was quite blind in my initial attempts at applying the
> > patches, and gave me the idea that they did not apply in any recent tree.
> > I've checked that they apply and build over the released 4.5, so I will go
> > testing that, maybe today. I will report.
>
> The screen goes black, as before.
>
> I attach the dmesg after applying the four patches (3 + 1) to 4.5.
> PWM_LPSS=y and PWM_LPSS_PLATFORM=y
>
> I also attach a dmesg of a panicked kernel that actually does run in that
> board, so you can see that it is actually a lpss-pwm case.

I don't see any trace of pwm/lpss in dmesg, so it's normal that i915 fails
to find it. I wonder if there may be a problem in the ACPI table. I have
the DSDT and it clearly reports the:

Name (_CID, "80860F09")  // _CID: Compatible ID
Name (_DDN, "Intel(R) PWM Controller #2 - 80860F09")  // _DDN: DOS Device Name

Which should be the lpss pwm. But somehow it is not loaded, so I guess it
fails the probing.

Maybe the DSDT is broken, and I should fix and recompile a new one for the
pwm controller to work? I don't really know how this things work, and
whether the kernel should report anything special if it were the case of a
broken DSDT.

Regards,
Lluḉis.

--
(Escriu-me xifrat si saps PGP / Write ciphered if you know PGP)
PGP key D4831A8A - https://emailselfdefense.fsf.org/