[Intel-gfx] Reviving the LPSS PWM patches

Lluís Batlle i Rossell viric at viric.name
Sat Apr 9 16:23:26 UTC 2016

On Sat, Apr 09, 2016 at 11:14:38AM +0200, Lluís Batlle i Rossell wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 07, 2016 at 11:54:39AM +0200, Lluís Batlle i Rossell wrote:

> > > Can we put some prints in the probe routines and see whats happening in the
> > > pwm-lpss-platform.c driver. There is also a PCI PWM LPSS driver -
> > > pwm-lpss-pci.c Can you also enable that and see if the probe for that is
> > > being called and successful ?

I think there is a lot to be done first, to be able to test this.

If I understand correctly, despite the lpss pwm may be available, it will
not be used as pwm-backlight (video/backlight/pwm_bl.c) because it depends
on "CONFIG_OF" and it is ready for devicetree only.

The only x86 that enable OF are X86_INTEL_CE and OLPC, and pwm_bl is
completely disabled without OF. I don't have any INTEL_CE or OLPC, this
LPSS of the Atom SoC is a different thing.

So, someone has to implement pwm_bl on my x86 first, for any of the
patches wrt i915 to be used at all. Should X86_INTEL_LPSS enable OF?
Should there be a devicetree definition for it first? Does someone have to
allow pwm_bl to work with ACPI? Is all that ready in some branch of some
other linux team?

Regards,
Lluís.

--
(Escriu-me xifrat si saps PGP / Write ciphered if you know PGP)
PGP key D4831A8A - https://emailselfdefense.fsf.org/