[Intel-gfx] What are the consequences of not installing the non-free intel firmware needed on Skylake?

Laszlo KERTESZ laszlo.kertesz at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 12:32:42 UTC 2016

Hello,

As we have  new laptops on the Skylake platform in our company i would like
to know a bit more about the firmware needed(or is it only recommended?),
more specifically about what actually happens when it is not installed.
I looked around and read informations such as
https://01.org/linuxgraphics/intel-linux-graphics-firmwares

What happens if the firmware is not installed? Is there a performance
drop/overheating/instability penalty or something like it?