[Intel-gfx] Display problems after upgrade to X v1.18.3

Jim Abernathy jfabernathy at outlook.com
Tue Aug 23 19:20:50 UTC 2016

On 08/23/2016 03:06 PM, Jim Abernathy wrote:
> On 08/23/2016 01:10 PM, David Weinehall wrote:
>> On Tue, Aug 23, 2016 at 11:40:53AM -0400, Jim Abernathy wrote:
>>> Not having much luck with the Distro forums on this issue so I thought
>>> I'd ask for advice here.
>>>
>>> I've been running Ubuntu 14.04.4 for some time on Intel Core i5 GFX
>>> without any issues.  My display is HDMI from the PC to an Onkyo A/V
>>> receiver then to a Sony KDL-XBR6.
>> Core i5 is a bit vague; to know what graphics generation you run,
>> could you provide the output of:
>>
>> sudo cat /sys/kernel/debug/dri/0/i915_capabilities
> gen: 6
> pch: 2
> is_mobile: yes
> is_i85x: no
> is_i915g: no
> is_i945gm: no
> is_g33: no
> need_gfx_hws: yes
> is_g4x: no
> is_pineview: no
> is_broadwater: no
> is_crestline: no
> is_ivybridge: no
> is_valleyview: no
> is_haswell: no
> is_skylake: no
> is_preliminary: no
> has_fbc: yes
> has_pipe_cxsr: no
> has_hotplug: yes
> cursor_needs_physical: no
> has_overlay: no
> overlay_needs_physical: no
> supports_tv: no
> has_llc: yes
> has_ddi: no
> has_fpga_dbg: no
> jim at test:~$
>
>> Also, since it might be a kernel issue, the kernel version would be
>> nice to know too (uname -a).
>>
> Linux test 4.4.0-34-generic #53-Ubuntu SMP Wed Jul 27 16:06:39 UTC
> 2016 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> Intel Desktop DCP847SKE NUC with Intel Celeron CPU 847 @ 1.10GHZ

To explain the differences between my OP about Core i5 and tests on
Celeron.  My production PC with the problem is a Core i5, buy I took it
back to Ubuntu 14.04 LTS until this is resolved.  I setup a Celeron NUC
to use to help solve this issue.  Since All my PCs have Intel GFX and
all have this problem using the Sony TV and Onkyo receiver on 16.04, the
NUC was the easiest to setup and leave alone until the problem is resolved.

Jim A