[Intel-gfx] FreeBSD i915 driver update

K. Macy kmacy at freebsd.org
Tue May 17 15:09:27 UTC 2016

> What I don't really like is the old approach of trying to abstract away
> differences between Linux and *BSD in drmP.h with some screaming macros.
> Given the imbalance of manpower between Linux and *BSD I think the best
> (and probably only really) approach is to have linux compat types and
> wrapper functions for everything. Which seems to be the new plan.

Correct.

> If there's stuff needed above&beyond that I think we need to look at in on
> a case-by-case basis and figure out what makes sense. For me the crucial
> bit isn't so much whether we need to make changes in upstream linux or
> not, but whether there's a benefit for usptream too. If bug reports and
> bugfixes flow back to linux, then I'm all for it. If it's a one-way street
> then frankly I don't care ;-)

I apologize for a being a bit slow to parse your statements. What is
upstream and what is downstream? If upstream is Linux and downstream
Linux users then I actually do have some areas I'd like engage on like
figuring out if userptr as it stands couldn't provide a better failure
mode. However, I'd like to think that upstream is Intel and downstream
is Intel customers and that the predominant focus on Linux is an
artifact of cost / benefit. If the latter is the case then any changes
that don't interfere with your primary focus but still support your
broader customer base should be considered desirable.

Either way, now that we're in sync with upstream I do hope that we can
contribute to general driver discussions to the extent that our
limited resources permit.

>> Good luck with your efforts!
>
> Yeah, would be great to have *BSD tracking upstream closely again, wish
> you the best with that!

Thanks.

-M