[Intel-gfx] FreeBSD i915 driver update

Daniel Vetter daniel at ffwll.ch
Wed May 18 08:11:33 UTC 2016

On Tue, May 17, 2016 at 08:09:27AM -0700, K. Macy wrote:
> > What I don't really like is the old approach of trying to abstract away
> > differences between Linux and *BSD in drmP.h with some screaming macros.
> > Given the imbalance of manpower between Linux and *BSD I think the best
> > (and probably only really) approach is to have linux compat types and
> > wrapper functions for everything. Which seems to be the new plan.
>
> Correct.
>
> > If there's stuff needed above&beyond that I think we need to look at in on
> > a case-by-case basis and figure out what makes sense. For me the crucial
> > bit isn't so much whether we need to make changes in upstream linux or
> > not, but whether there's a benefit for usptream too. If bug reports and
> > bugfixes flow back to linux, then I'm all for it. If it's a one-way street
> > then frankly I don't care ;-)
>
> I apologize for a being a bit slow to parse your statements. What is
> upstream and what is downstream? If upstream is Linux and downstream
> Linux users then I actually do have some areas I'd like engage on like
> figuring out if userptr as it stands couldn't provide a better failure
> mode. However, I'd like to think that upstream is Intel and downstream
> is Intel customers and that the predominant focus on Linux is an
> artifact of cost / benefit. If the latter is the case then any changes
> that don't interfere with your primary focus but still support your
> broader customer base should be considered desirable.
>
> Either way, now that we're in sync with upstream I do hope that we can
> contribute to general driver discussions to the extent that our
> limited resources permit.

I meant downstream/upstream wrt *BSD ports, i.e.

upstream = the i915 linux driver
downstream = your port in *BSD

If you think of the Intel/customer relation, everything we do here in the
community is pretty much just best effort, done by developers and
maintainers because it's the right thing to do. I think intel as a company
doesn't care one bit about *BSD from a business perspective at all.
-Daniel
Software Engineer, Intel Corporation
http://blog.ffwll.ch