[Intel-gfx] [RFC i-g-t 1/2] extended.testlist: Remove default and render engine test duplicates

Chris Wilson chris at chris-wilson.co.uk
Fri Jun 23 11:21:48 UTC 2017

Quoting Daniel Vetter (2017-06-23 12:14:49)
> On Thu, Jun 22, 2017 at 12:45 PM, Tvrtko Ursulin
> <tvrtko.ursulin at linux.intel.com> wrote:
> >
> > On 22/06/2017 10:54, Daniel Vetter wrote:

> >> If they are redundant, why do we even have them? Can we just remove
> >

> > Maybe we can remove the default entry from intel_execution_engines array?
> > And just test that default == render explicitly in a few short tests.
>
> That has my ack, in case you have the patch ...

No. The ABI does allow for the switch in theory and it is a distinct
enum so it does need testing.

> >> the testcase itself? Accumulating unused tests of questionable use at
> >> best in igt is serious pain, because it means we never can get to a
> >> world where new testcases are auto-added to CI withou some manual
> >> review. And that's the world of pain we live in now and I really want
> >> to get out of it. That means reviewing and removing testcases, not
> >> massaging courated testlists forever, I don't think we have the time
> >> for that among all the other tasks.
> >>
> >> </rant> :-)

It's the curated lists that are the problem, not the tests. The fact
that we don't feel it is worthwhile to continuously test minor
variations to catch weird bugs is our problem.