[Intel-gfx] [RFC i-g-t 1/2] extended.testlist: Remove default and render engine test duplicates

Daniel Vetter daniel at ffwll.ch
Fri Jun 23 11:14:49 UTC 2017

On Thu, Jun 22, 2017 at 12:45 PM, Tvrtko Ursulin
<tvrtko.ursulin at linux.intel.com> wrote:

> On 22/06/2017 10:54, Daniel Vetter wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Jun 16, 2017 at 12:55 PM, Tvrtko Ursulin <tursulin at ursulin.net>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> From: Tvrtko Ursulin <tvrtko.ursulin at intel.com>
>>>
>>> Where there is both default and render for the same test,
>>> remove the former to save some execution time.
>>

>> If they are redundant, why do we even have them? Can we just remove
>

> Maybe we can remove the default entry from intel_execution_engines array?
> And just test that default == render explicitly in a few short tests.

That has my ack, in case you have the patch ...

>> the testcase itself? Accumulating unused tests of questionable use at
>> best in igt is serious pain, because it means we never can get to a
>> world where new testcases are auto-added to CI withou some manual
>> review. And that's the world of pain we live in now and I really want
>> to get out of it. That means reviewing and removing testcases, not
>> massaging courated testlists forever, I don't think we have the time
>> for that among all the other tasks.
>>
>> </rant> :-)
>

> I am not a fan of the testlist neither, but thought to avoid letting perfect
> being the enemy of good, and at least do something until the final solution
> crystallizes.

Yeah not going to block this here, just wanted to chime in with what I
think we need to do in the longer-term. I really want CI to run all
igt, and run new igt tests by default, to make sure both tests are
high-quality (no noise), and the kernel doesn't randomly regress
because we didn't run the igts :-/
-Daniel
Software Engineer, Intel Corporation
+41 (0) 79 365 57 48 - http://blog.ffwll.ch