[Intel-gfx] Enabling i915.fastboot=1 by default

Hans de Goede hdegoede at redhat.com
Wed Jun 6 09:09:09 UTC 2018

Hi All,

So I'm working on making Linux boot in a complete
flickerfree manner (no modesets, no black screens).

I have this working on various machines with Intel
gfx, but I need to pass i915.fastboot=1 on the kernel
commandline.

I know there was some talk about enabling this by
default a while ago, but it seems that that still
has not happened (yet?).

I'm wondering what is holding this back ? Maybe we
can change it from a bool to an int, init it to -1
and when it is -1 have some automatic detection
code which disables it where it is known to be
troublesome and otherwise enables it by default?

Regards,

Hans