[Intel-gfx] i915 vs checkpatch

Jani Nikula jani.nikula at linux.intel.com
Fri Mar 2 16:07:40 UTC 2018

On Thu, 01 Mar 2018, Jani Nikula <jani.nikula at linux.intel.com> wrote:
> Does checkpatch support disabling checks or do you have to filter them
> out from the output?

Turns out it does. There's an --ignore option. For starters, I sent a
patch [1] to show the warning types in the output, so we can more
accurately discuss the ignores.

Alas it's probably not as simple as just slamming the ignores to dim:
I'll probably want to use the strictest set both when I'm developing and
applying patches (just to get an idea about the warnings, and I try to
keep my patches under 80 columns, etc.). Some other drivers and drm core
might have different sets of rules, and dim is no longer an Intel-only
tool. So we probably need to be able to specify different rule sets.

BR,
Jani.

PS. We need to get dim-tools and igt-dev etc. subscribed to the mail
archive and marc etc.

[1] id:20180302155800.6874-1-jani.nikula at intel.com