[Intel-gfx] Question about latest skl_dmc_ver1_27.bin and kernel version.

Rodrigo Vivi rodrigo.vivi at intel.com
Mon Mar 5 22:59:48 UTC 2018

Hi Paul,

The use of symbolic links was deprecated exactly to avoid this kind of situation
you faced when blindly replacing dmc 1.26 per 1.27. We never tested that kernel
version with that DMC so we don't know what to expect.

As the regular end users concerns they should never touch any firmware and rely
on the distribution to update linux-firmware packages.

You, as the linux distribution OSV, should package linux-firmware from linux-firmware.git
and don't hack it.

If you are sure that you need the new version you should then backport the patch:
https://patchwork.freedesktop.org/series/33568/ on your kernel, instead of renaming
files or using symbolic link.

Thanks,
Rodrigo.