[Intel-gfx] [RFC 0/8] Force preemption

Bloomfield, Jon jon.bloomfield at intel.com
Thu Mar 22 19:59:33 UTC 2018

On the subject of it being "a bit random when something would work":
Currently it's the well behaved app (and everything else behind it)
that pays the price for the badly-behaved umd being a bad citizen. 12s is
a really long time for the GUI to freeze before a bad context can be nuked.

Yes, with enforced pre-emption latency, the bad umd pays a price in that,
if it's lucky, it will run to completion. If unlucky it gets nuked. But it's a bad
umd at the end of the day. And we should find it and fix it.

With fair-scheduling, this becomes even more important - all umd's need
to ensure that they are capable of pre-empting to the finest granularity
supported by the h/w for their respective workloads. If they don't
they really should be obliterated (aka detected and fixed).

The big benefit I see with the new approach (vs TDR) is that there's actually
no need to enforce the (slightly arbitrarily determined 3x4s timeout) for a
context at all, providing it plays nicely. If you want to run a really long
GPGPU workload, do so by all means, just don't hog the GPU.

BTW, the same context banning should be applied to a context nuked
by forced-preemption as with TDR. That's the intention at least. This is just
an RFC right now.