[Intel-gfx] [RFC 0/3] Display uncore

Jani Nikula jani.nikula at intel.com
Wed Oct 30 06:11:08 UTC 2019

On Tue, 29 Oct 2019, Daniele Ceraolo Spurio <daniele.ceraolospurio at intel.com> wrote:
> On 10/29/19 2:23 AM, Jani Nikula wrote:
>> On Wed, 07 Aug 2019, Daniele Ceraolo Spurio <daniele.ceraolospurio at intel.com> wrote:
>>> I've been trying to identify MMIO ranges to clearly define what belongs
>>> to display_uncore to do a check on access, but there are lots of
>>> exceptions and differences across gens (with a few more coming with TGL),
>>> so I don't think that's a viable way. The alternative option implemented
>>> here is to differentiate the register by type, which should ensure we
>>> never mix them up, but at the cost of a more complex transition.
>>>
>>> Thoughts? I'm very open to (and I actually hope for) better ideas.
>>
>> Has there been any progress in this front lately, or have I just missed
>> it?
>>

> No progress on the ML. I've been locally trying on and off to break
> i915_reg.h in more manageable chunks to be able to more easily mark the
> display registers, but I keep finding special cases, especially around
> VLV/CHV. I'll try to prioritize this task more and get something out, at
> least as a RFC.

Okay. As you saw, I decided to start moving forward with display uncore
helpers [1]. We'll need them anyway, and we can add the display checks
there afterwards. If anything, they should make your job easier, not
harder.

BR,
Jani.

[1] http://patchwork.freedesktop.org/patch/msgid/20191029105156.21658-1-jani.nikula@intel.com

--
Jani Nikula, Intel Open Source Graphics Center