[Intel-gfx] [PULL] gvt-next-fixes

Rodrigo Vivi rodrigo.vivi at intel.com
Tue Apr 7 13:35:59 UTC 2020

On Tue, Apr 07, 2020 at 04:02:56PM +0800, Zhenyu Wang wrote:
> On 2020.04.03 10:50:33 -0700, Rodrigo Vivi wrote:
> >
> > +Dave and Daniel,
> >

> > > I forgot to mention one thing for 5.7. We've fixed to change guest mem r/w
> > > from KVM to use new VFIO dma r/w instead in this series: https://patchwork.freedesktop.org/series/72038/
> > >
> > > As this depends on VFIO tree and looks VFIO pull for 5.7 is not settled down
> > > yet, we'd need to backmerge and send pull against vfio merge for 5.7.
> >
> > I'm not sure if I'm following on which backmerge you are willing
> > us to do here. And for me it looks like late for 5.7 already.
> >
> > Maybe you mean we ack all of this to go through vfio flow
> > then once that is settled drm backmerge and then drm-intel backmerge
> > and you backmerge...
> >
> > Is that what you want?
> >

> My purpose is to get GVT side fixes of guest memory r/w through new
> vfio dma r/w interface in 5.7. As vfio 5.7-rc1 pull has already been
> merged in linus master, looks just want drm-intel backmerge now then
> could send gvt side fixes. Ok for you?

I'm afraid it is too late for that. That would depend on backmerge
of drm itself as well... And we are in a point that we are about to
move from drm-next to drm-fixes.

Also looking to the patches itself they look more content for -next
than -fixes and our window with drm closed on -rc6

So it looks to me that this will have to wait for the 5.8.

One good suggestion I heard from Daniel for cases like this in the
future is the use of topic branches so things don't get spread into
multiple versions like this.

> Sorry for late reply, I was out for a short vacation.

Sorry for not been able to help further here

Thanks,
Rodrigo.