[Intel-gfx] [RFC] drm/i915: Restrict legacy color key ioctl to pre-gen12

Matt Roper matthew.d.roper at intel.com
Tue Jan 14 23:03:20 UTC 2020

On Tue, Jan 14, 2020 at 10:54:50PM +0000, Chris Wilson wrote:
> Quoting Chris Wilson (2020-01-14 22:47:58)
> > Quoting Matt Roper (2020-01-14 22:45:08)
> > > Since gen12 platform support isn't finalized yet, let's kill off the
> > > legacy color key ioctl for this platform; there's no userspace today
> > > that can run on this platform that utilizes this legacy ioctl, so we can
> > > safely kill it now before it becomes ABI.
> > >
> > > Color key functionality never got integrated into the property / atomic
> > > interface, and the only known open source consumer was the Intel DDX
> > > which was never updated to run on platforms beyond gen9.  If color
> > > keying is desired going forward, it should really be exposed as a
> > > property so that it can be applied atomically with other display updates
> > > (and should probably be standardized in a way all drivers can choose to
> > > support rather than being i915-specific).
> >
> > But it does run on those platforms and exposes the sprite plane via Xv.

Hmm, looks like I overlooked 00184dc03 ("Sync i915_pciids upto
d0e062ebb3a4") which finally brought in the CNL and ICL pci ids.  As far
as I can see it still lacks EHL/JSL and TGL as far as I can see.  Are
there plans to continue support for xf86-video-intel for future
platforms?  If not, then cutting the support off at TGL would still be
safe.

Matt

--
Matt Roper