[Intel-gfx] [PULL] drm-misc-next

Daniel Vetter daniel at ffwll.ch
Fri Jun 24 22:12:05 UTC 2022

On Thu, Jun 23, 2022 at 11:56:56AM +0300, Jani Nikula wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Jun 2022, Thomas Zimmermann <tzimmermann at suse.de> wrote:
> > Hi

> >> I thought we should only backmerge Linus' tree via backmerging drm-next,
> >> which avoids this problem altogether.
> >
> > I did backmerge via drm-next.
>
> Then I'm confused how it all shows up the the diffstat. If you backmerge
> drm-next to drm-misc-next, and then generate your drm-misc-next pull
> request against drm-next (dim pull-request drm-misc-next drm/drm-next),
> I don't think it should show up.

git is shit (tm)

The git commit list will look reasonable, but the diff will make a
complete mess out of non-linear history. I think it's this case here too.

I think the way to fix it is to do a manual test merge and then to a diff
against the first parent (assuming you did the test merge forward, not
backwards). Without the test merge git tries to do some kind of multi-way
diffstat.
-Daniel
Software Engineer, Intel Corporation
http://blog.ffwll.ch