[LDTP-Dev] Test scripts for Open Source Desktop Benchmark Suite - LiSoG

Nagappan A nagappan at gmail.com
Mon Jun 16 10:42:01 PDT 2008

Hello,

Its great to hear from you and very interesting / useful info about your
project !!

First, I would like to thank you / your organization for considering LDTP in
this process and we are happy to be part of this evaluation.

LDTP can be used to test only accessibility enabled applications as of now.
Most of the GNOME applications are by default accessibility enabled, unless
they use any custom controls / widgets.

We use external libraries
(statgrab<http://ldtp.freedesktop.org/wiki/Class_pstats>)
to measure the memory / CPU utilization and we have integrated those library
API into LDTP for easy access.

We have LDTP editor <http://ldtp.freedesktop.org/wiki/RecordHOWTO>, to
record the user events and to generate the LDTP test scripts based on the
captured events. This will increase the productivity. With this editor, the
GNOME Evolution team in Novell was able to automate 80 test scripts in just
10 days of time !!! The initial learning curve to use the editor / LDTP
functionality may take a couple of days time. Once you are familiar with the
process, it will be very easy to produce test scripts.

We would like to participate and contribute to this effort.

Thanks
Nagappan

On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 9:07 AM, Nico Gulden <gulden at lisog.org> wrote:

> Hello list,
>
> I recently heard about the Linux Desktop Testing Project. After
> looking into it, our project group decided to get in contact with you.
> To be brief first, we develop a specification for an Open Source based
> Desktop Benchmark Suite and you provide a test automation framework that
> could be useful for the implementation.
>
> "We" are the project Open Source based Desktop Benchmark [1] of the
> Linux Solutions Group e.V. (LiSoG) in Germany, Switzerland and Austria.
> LiSoG is dedicated to support Open Source based solutions especially in
> business use. In a previous project called "Open Competitive Bidding" we
> were confronted with the problem that public institutions in the
> European Union have to phrase their tenders independently of products
> and vendors. Those public institutions cannot invite tenders for a
> certain type of hardware. They have to use independent measures to
> specify the required features. Usually benchmark results like the Bapco
> SYSmark Benchmark are used. Benchmarks exist for Linux servers, but not
> for Linux desktops. That is a disadvantage for the use of the Linux
> operating system and open source software in the public sector.
>
> The LiSoG considers an Open Source based Desktop Benchmark Suite to be
> an important factor in the promotion of Linux and Open Source Software.
> Our board of directors decided to invite hardware producers, Linux
> distributions, Open Source projects and public institutions to
> participate and syndicate for the development of such a benchmark suite.
> The project is supported by AMD, Federal Strategy Unit for IT of the
> Federal IT Council in Switzerland, City of Freiburg, IBM, Linux Hotel,
> Millenux, Novell, Sun Microsystems and Swiss Federal Supreme Court. The
> whole list of supporters can be found online.
>
> Prior to our last meeting we heard of your project and looked into it.
> It could be useful for implementing the specification we are working on.
> The specification includes assumptions for the benchmark, requirements,
> types of workflows and applications that are used on a typical Linux
> desktop. The list of applications to be considered has been approved and
> is available online [2]. The draft of the specification is planned to be
> finished on Februar, 1st 2009. After a two month review the
> specification is to be released in May 2009. Our first goal is to
> release the specification. During the next months we also think about
> who could implement the specification and maintain the benchmark suite.
> We are already in contact with the phoronix test suite project and
> Michael Larabel.
>
> We want to use LDTP for the automation of the usage of applications. How
> can applications be used remotely that don't use the accessability libs?
> What possibilities can be used to measure performance and time? How much
> is the effort to develop own test scripts?

> [...]

Linux Desktop (GUI Application) Testing Project -
http://ldtp.freedesktop.org
http://nagappanal.blogspot.com