[LDTP-Dev] about the translated labels

Ning Fu ning.fu at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 19:23:34 PDT 2009

Hi,

I have such a code on Solaris:

from ldtp import *
from ldtputils import *
setlocale('zh_CN')
bindtext('gedit', '/usr/share/locale')
selectmenuitem('*gedit','mnuFile;mnuNew')
selectmenuitem('*gedit','mnuFile;mnuOpen')
selectmenuitem('*gedit','mnuEdit;mnuPreferences')
selectmenuitem('*gedit','mnuHelp;mnuAbout')

My purpose is to test gedit in different locales with a same set of
LDTP scripts.
However, when I tested in zh_CN locale, I found a issue that "mnuNew"
is reported as "Unable to get the child menu item".
While others(mnuOpen, mnuPreferences, mnuAbout) work fine -- the
localized dialog windows are opened.

I checked the log file, and found out that "mnuNew" is translated to
Chinese as "mnu新建", but others are kept in English.
I guess that's why it fails.

My question is -- If English label names work fine with localized
applications, why some labels, such as "mnuNew" are translated? Isn't
it a bug?

Attached please find the log file.

Thanks!
Harry Fu