[LDTP-Dev] Ubuntu/14.04 - change to notebook tab label not picked up by LDTP

Christian Mallwitz c.mallwitz at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 13:47:33 PDT 2015

Hi

I have a simple GTK notebook example (see notebook.py attachment) that
contains a button one can use to change the text on the label of a
notebook tab.

My problem: I can't make LDTP pick up the changed tab labels

Example:
- run 'python notebook.py' in one console
- run python in interactive mode in another console
>>> import ldtp
>>> [i for i in ldtp.getobjectlist('Notebook Label Example') if i.startswith('ptab')]
['ptabPage5', 'ptabPage1', 'ptabPage4', 'ptabPage2', 'ptabPage3']

If I now change a tab label e.g. 'Page 1' (by pressing the button
'Change Tab Label') ldtp.getobjectlist() still keeps returning the
same tabs. In fact

>>> ldtp.getobjectproperty('Notebook Label Example', u'ptabPage1', 'label')
'Page 1'

I even tried to run LDTPD directly using
>>> import ldtpd.core
>>> ldtp = ldtpd.core.Ldtpd()

Same result - it ignores any changes to tab labels.

If I restart the python/ldtp process it will pick up the changed tab labels.

I tried creating a new Ldtpd instance:
>>> ldtp = ldtpd.core.Ldtpd()
>>> [i for i in ldtp.getobjectlist('Notebook Label Example') if i.startswith('ptab')]
['ptabPage5', 'ptabPage1', 'ptabPage4', 'ptabPage2', 'ptabPage3']

but this doesn't seem to be enough to pick up the changed tab.

Now the odd bit: I have fired up Orca Screen Reader - it doesn't pick
up the changed tab labels either which makes my think this is not a
problem with LDTP but the underlying at-spi layer and the Gnome
Notebook widget not being properly accessibility enabled. I get the
same result in Debian Jessie.

Is there something I can do from an app developer perspective to
publish the tab label change such that at-spi clients can pick it up?

Any suggestion for a more suitable mailing list to report the issue?

Thanks
Christian