[IDEA] New pages for types: structs and typedfefs

Michael Kerrisk (man-pages) mtk.manpages at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 20:21:33 UTC 2020

Hello Alex,

Following up on your mail that I missed replying to:

On Sun, 13 Sep 2020 at 23:29, Alejandro Colomar <colomar.6.4.3 at gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

> > For other types, such as timeval, timespec, etc, I don't expect
> > there are many conflicts. One case that I can think of where
> > there's a function and a struct with the same name is 'sigaction'.
> > But there's not really a problem there, since, on the one hand,
> > I don't expect that that is one of the types that should be
> > documented in system_data_types(7),
> Why not?

Well, my first thought is that the type is well documented in
sigaction(2). But, now I wonder if maybe the type should also be
documented in system_data_types(7).

[...]

> New question:
>
> I've already started and I'm writing the short description on 'time_t'.
>
> POSIX has copyright and all rights reserved, but do you think it would
> be fair use to copy descriptions such as "Used for time in seconds."?
> Or do I have to come up with a new short description?

I think quoting POSIX is fine (fair use etc.), but we must be explicit
about it, as I noted in my other mail in another thread a few minutes
ago [1].

Thanks,

Michael

[1] https://lore.kernel.org/linux-man/20200922153822.33728-2-colomar.6.4.3@gmail.com/T/#m4eeb425aca975ded062fc36ada62dc4935eb4f67