[IDEA] New pages for types: structs and typedfefs

Thorsten Glaser tg at mirbsd.org
Tue Sep 22 20:38:13 UTC 2020

Michael Kerrisk (man-pages) dixit:

>I think quoting POSIX is fine (fair use etc.)

“fair use” only applies to the USA. For pieces quoted under
USA “fair use” copyright still applies in all other countries,
and, worse, you can’t issue a licence for it (as you don’t own
it).

https://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/frontmatter/notice.html
specifically reserves the copyright for POSIX.

https://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/help/terms.html
specifically does not issue a licence for reproduction.

I know that some POSIX documents were re-released under a free-ish
licence some time ago for inclusion into some manual pages, but I
don’t have a reference for that and don’t know the scope.

Please get explicit permission from The Open Group before quoting
from POSIX in anything you intend to distribute to the general public.

Thanks,
//mirabilos (current hat: Debian Developer nōn-US)
existence.		-- Coywolf Qi Hunt