[Libburn] a question about file attributes

Todd Kulesza todd at dropline.net
Wed May 19 17:42:25 PDT 2004

so i'm working my way through an implementation of the basic rock-ridge
extensions, re-working libisofs to read a file from disk and stat it's
attributes, when it hits me: is this sane?  so i thought some more about
it, and realized that directories will have an even larger problem than
files--people create "virtual" directories in their cds, so there isn't
always a physical directory to stat.  with this in mind, i think it
makes more sense for libisofs to let the application pass in the file
attributes, defaulting to 644 in case attributes aren't specified for a
file, and 755 in the case of a directory.  this also allows applications
to be designed so that the user can change file permissions/attributes
on the cd without effecting those on disk.

the downside is that it will mean an api change.  is this acceptable?  i
was planning to make a global struct to hold this info, and add it to
the parameter list of iso_tree_add_dir and iso_tree_add_file.  i'm
modifying these two functions to generate the character buffers which
store the rr information relating to their particular file or
directory.  anyone see a problem with this approach?

cheers,
todd