[Libburn] a question about file attributes

Derek Foreman manmower at signalmarketing.com
Tue May 25 20:04:58 PDT 2004

I've added the coaster list to the CC in case they've got any objections.

Hopefully it's not too OT. :)

On Wed, 19 May 2004, Todd Kulesza wrote:

> so i'm working my way through an implementation of the basic rock-ridge
> extensions, re-working libisofs to read a file from disk and stat it's
> attributes, when it hits me: is this sane?  so i thought some more about
> it, and realized that directories will have an even larger problem than
> files--people create "virtual" directories in their cds, so there isn't
> always a physical directory to stat.  with this in mind, i think it
> makes more sense for libisofs to let the application pass in the file
> attributes, defaulting to 644 in case attributes aren't specified for a
> file, and 755 in the case of a directory.  this also allows applications
> to be designed so that the user can change file permissions/attributes
> on the cd without effecting those on disk.
>
> the downside is that it will mean an api change.  is this acceptable?  i
> was planning to make a global struct to hold this info, and add it to
> the parameter list of iso_tree_add_dir and iso_tree_add_file.  i'm
> modifying these two functions to generate the character buffers which
> store the rr information relating to their particular file or
> directory.  anyone see a problem with this approach?

That API is pretty much yours, and I certainly don't consider it to be
frozen. :)

At the time of my last release, I don't think libisofs even worked, so
I really doubt there are any users counting on it staying the same.

But if someone is, by all means, speak up :)