[Libburn] How to pipe stdin to CD-RW ?

scdbackup at gmx.net scdbackup at gmx.net
Thu Dec 1 08:30:11 PST 2005

Hi,

is there already a command line program based on libburn
which can be used to direct a stream from stdin onto
CD-R resp. CD-RW ?

I explored libburn-0.2/test/* with my 2.4.21-215-athlon
SuSE Linux 9.0 (using ide-scsi).

test/devices
  finds:  /dev/sg0 - HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4082B

test/blank
  is able to prepare a used CD-RW for cdrecord
  and for test/burniso

cat x.iso | test/burniso /proc/self/fd/0
  did not produce error messages
  but is done suspiciously fast
  the resulting CD-RW does not return a byte
  (two tries. media is the same individual as
   with the other burns)

test/burniso x.iso
  runs about the same time as cdrecord
  (the system behaves a bit like with cdrecord and DMA off)
  (hdparm -d /dev/hdc says DMA is on)
  produces a nicely readable CD-RW
  verifies with the original image

test/burniso x.afio
  (a compressed afio archive rather than an ISO-9660 image)
  produces readable CD-RW, too

I understand that the data source is opened in
burn_file_source_new() by open(path, O_RDONLY)

Is it possible to have stdin as data source ?
The address /proc/self/fd/0 works for me with growisofs
and also with commands like cat. Obviously libburn
is not so happy with it.

Besides my problem with stdin, there is still some need
to add more user safety and entertainment code before
test/burniso can be used as everyday program.
Therefore my question about an existing command line
program. (The nearer to the cdrecord user interface, the
better.)

Whatever, libburn looks like a promising alternative
to cdrecord. I would like to offer it as one of the
write adapters in my backup project. This project
aims to provide end-users with a scriptable system for
data backups, mainly on CD or DVD.

Currently i could need help with
- the stdin problem
- finding the specs about the system requirements of libburn
- learning about the availability of libburn for end-users
  of distros like SuSE or RedHat
Any hint is welcome. Thanks in advance.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas