[Libburn] My personal apology to icculus.org/burn

scdbackup at gmx.net scdbackup at gmx.net
Tue Aug 15 10:52:53 PDT 2006

Dear Derek, Ben, and all who are involved,

up to now i had reason to regret but not to apologize
for the fork of libburn which took place two weeks ago.

This has changed by now. I became member of that team,
although i think that it did not show you the due respect
for your work. This work is outstanding by the fact that
it establishes the only widely usable Linux alternative to
cdrtools of Joerg Schilling (whom i owe much. Chapeau.)
An invaluable service to the community to avoid unhealthy
monoculture.

So please take my apologies on my personal behalf but
already being a team member and maintainer of cdrskin
within libburn.pykix.org .

If it is not too pathetic i would also like to fall
on my knees in front of you so you tell me your
current implementation ideas about TAO and multi
session and point me to specs where i could read the
details. (I don't have money to buy any, i fear.)

I will further post a problem report with my findings
on opening device files O_EXCL and the risk to fall
victim to some automatic locking features of some
Linux kernels with your existing code base.
It is not complete by now, but i work on it.

In advance:
libburn has a file descriptor resource leak in sg_grab():
enumerate_common() calls sg_grab(),
d->fd stays open,
burn_drive_grab() later leads to sg_grab() again,
d->fd is not closed but overwritten by newly opened fd,
old file descriptor stays open until process ends.

I could well need some advise from you and i
will dare to ask for it soon.
A reply, even a negative one, to this mail would be
very appreciated by me.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas