[Libburn] Re: 64 bit off_t

scdbackup at gmx.net scdbackup at gmx.net
Wed Feb 22 09:42:50 PST 2006

Hi,

> Multi session. :(

Exactly my position up to now. :))

For the purpose of a backup, multi-session is not very
appealing. One might save some (cheap, reusable) media
but always puts the previous backup at risk when
adding a new burn. Others think different. Therefore
there is growisofs, addir et.al.

I happen to know people who would love to turn their back
to the usual pseudo-technical quarrels. Pity they are
stuck to features of cdrecord such as -multi.

Pity -multi is so obscure to me. It is about options -M
and -C of mkisofs and option -msinfo of cdrecord.
(Learned from http://www.tmr.com/~public/source/addir)

> I'm not sure how the libisofs side will integrate, obviously some help is
> needed for linking to files from previous sessions.

Nothing against libisofs (i actually have a very light grey
item "isoskin" on my todo list), but one should first try
to perform the usual tricks with original mkisofs.
Then one would better know what features the library
would have to provide.

> Of the big three, in terms of difficulty to implement, I'm expecting the
> order to be:
> TAO, DVD, multi-session

TAO is what itches me most. Actually my itch is about a write
mode with open size. Blindly up to EOF at the track data fd.

Currently i know the cdrecord needs of three data writing
applications: K3b, addir, scdbackup.
Two of them want to pipe stuff into cdrecord without announcing
the size in advance. K3b is really so obliging to announce the
size in sector units. Piping seems to be the standard way to feed
cdrecord. Creating an image on hard disk is out of fashion.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas