[Libburn] Re: FYI: my current modifications versus CVS of 8 Dec 2005

Derek Foreman manmower at signalmarketing.com
Thu Jan 12 06:04:05 PST 2006

Again, sorry for the delays in my replies.  I'll try to get to the rest
this weekend.

On Wed, 4 Jan 2006, scdbackup at gmx.net wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i just had the opportunity to test my timeout patch
> with the DMA-ill DVD-ROM and a 2.6.14 kernel.
> Regrettably it does not help in that situation
> because obviously it gets stuck somewhere else.
>
> The timeout worked fine with read-only drives
> but that will be tackled by libburn directly.
>

> Although my remedy proposal is obsolete now,
> there still is the need to tell the user about
> problematic addresses when drive scanning gets stuck.
> If i didn't know that the DVD-ROM is ill then
> i would have had to search for quite a while.

Can you mount and read cd/dvd media normally with DMA enabled?

Are we dealing with a piece of hardware that's too brain damaged to live?

If the entire line of drives is incapable of DMA at any time, then it
would seem to me that the kernel should blacklist it, and we should never
have to deal with this situation.

If it's just that specific drive that doesn't work, then it should be
replaced...

I'm not sure the kernel shouldn't be responsible for disabling DMA as soon
as a transfer fails.

What make/model of drive is it?