[Libburn] Re: Condensed list of problems with libburn

scdbackup at gmx.net scdbackup at gmx.net
Tue Jan 3 11:08:57 PST 2006

Hi,

> 9) Failure to prevent burning by burn_write_opts_set_simulate()

I think we can file this issue as the inability of LG GSA-4082B
to obey the simulation call with this write mode :
  burn_write_opts_set_write_type(o, BURN_WRITE_RAW, BURN_BLOCK_RAW96R);

It does obey the call with
  burn_write_opts_set_write_type(o, BURN_WRITE_SAO, BURN_BLOCK_SAO);

Have a nice day :)

Thomas

PS:
The adventurous story of this discovery follows.

> > Does it prevent burning on your lite-on?  Is cdrecord capable of
> > simulating on that drive (in SAO or RAW)?
> >
> > It's possible that the drive doesn't support simulation in the requested
> > write mode.
>
> I will introduce a -dummy option into cdrskin and try.

Hrmpf ... either it is a miracle or i fooled myself when i
first tried burning with burn_write_opts_set_simulate()
and saw my data on the CD.

cdrskin now knows option -dummy and
  burn_write_opts_set_simulate(o,1)
now does work.
The blank CD-RW stays blank although there was the normal
blinking of the burner drive and normal speed.

Am i stupid or what ?
... breaking out test/burniso ...

My patched version from my early experiments ignores
burn_write_opts_set_simulate()
After "simulated" burning i get
  status 4 BURN_DISC_FULL "There is a disc with data on it in the drive"
and afio recognizes an undamaged archive.

The original version from libburn-0.2.tar.gz ignores
burn_write_opts_set_simulate(), too.
  status 4 BURN_DISC_FULL "There is a disc with data on it in the drive"
The ISO image on the disk is mountable.
tar cf - /media/cdrom | wc   yields a plausible amount of data.

It is broken in test/burniso but not in cdrskin any more.
Grrr. Where is the difference ?

The burned media are moaning when i run my -atip ...
... hmmm ...  -raw96r ?

Bingo !

  cdrskin -raw96r -dummy ... archive.afio

does write the afio archive to media.

Counter check: i change in test/burniso.c :
        burn_write_opts_set_write_type(o, BURN_WRITE_RAW, BURN_BLOCK_RAW96R);
        burn_write_opts_set_write_type(o, BURN_WRITE_SAO, BURN_BLOCK_SAO);

Now the CD-RW stays blank.

This all was done with the LG DVD.

Now for testing the LITE-ON CD-RW :
Both write modes -sao and -raw96r do respect the -dummy option.