[Libburn] Announcing cdrskin 0.1.0, a limited cdrecord compatibility wrapper for libburn

scdbackup at gmx.net scdbackup at gmx.net
Thu Jan 12 11:54:05 PST 2006

Announcing cdrskin, a limited cdrecord compatibility wrapper for libburn

cdrskin currently is able to blank and burn data CDs with one or more tracks.
One of the tracks may be fed via stdin in which case the track size has to be
announced by option tsize=. Throughput may be stabilized by use of a fifo
which can prevent short-time buffer underruns of the writer and speed up
direct burning of compressed archive streams.

I am using cdrskin daily with my data backups on CD-RW where it shows about
the same reliability as cdrecord-ProDVD 2.01b31. The backup success is verified
by my backup tool via a MD5 stream checksum.

This is the initial public release 0.1.0 of cdrskin. It is not yet announced
at other places because i want to join it with the original CVS version of
libburn first.
For that, the CVS version would need some way to read from arbitrary file
descriptors (see my patch of december 2005) and it would need some way to
stay away during drive scan from any other drive than the one explicitely
given (see my proposal of a whitelist for drive addresses).

License:
  GPL

Provisory home:
  http://scdbackup.sourceforge.net/cdrskin_eng.html
  http://scdbackup.webframe.org/cdrskin_eng.html

Download as source:
  http://scdbackup.sourceforge.net/cdrskin-0.1.0.0.2.ts.tar.gz

  The lengthy version number consists of the cdrskin version 0.1.0 and the
  libburn version 0.2.ts. This tarball is actually a slightly patched
  libburn-0.2.tar.gz plus cdrskin. See file cdrskin-0.1.0.0.2.ts/README .

Download as dynamic x86 binary, compiled on SuSE 9.0:
  http://scdbackup.sourceforge.net/cdrskin_0.1.0.0.2.ts-x86-suse9_0.tar.gz
This runs on runs on SuSE 9.0 (2.4.21) and RIP-14.5 (2.6.14)

Download as static x86 binary, compiled on SuSE 9.0:
  http://scdbackup.sourceforge.net/cdrskin_0.1.0.0.2.ts-x86-suse9_0-static.tar.gz
This runs on SuSE 7.2 (kernel 2.4.4), on SuSE 9.0 and on RIP-14.4.

Documentation:
  http://scdbackup.sourceforge.net/README_cdrskin
  http://scdbackup.sourceforge.net/cdrskin__help
  http://scdbackup.sourceforge.net/cdrskin_help
  http://scdbackup.sourceforge.net/k3b_on_cdrskin.html
  http://scdbackup.sourceforge.net/cdrskin_eng.html

All URLs also valid with  .webframe.org  rather than  .sourceforge.net

Maintainer contact:
  Thomas Schmitt <scdbackup at gmx.net>

Everybody is invited to propose enhancements.
Especially developers and skilled users of frontends to cdrecord could help
to make cdrskin a plug compatible alternative.

Developers of frontends are also invited to test cdrskin, have a look into its
source code, and to implement a direct access to libburn in their programs.
Ask me for explanations if it is unclear what cdrskin does with libburn in
order to achieve cdrecord gestures. See libburn/libburn.h for the libburn API.
Do not look too close at Cdrskin_pacifier(), please. {:)

I need a tutor and tester for cdrecord audio features. My computer can say
"beep" and "boap" but nothing else. No speaker boxes, no music collection,
no livingroom CD player, ... looks like i am not at all musical.
I am willing to adapt cdrskin to this tutor's favorite cdrecord frontend and
to change cdrskin's code so it makes appropriate use of libburn features in
order to emulate cdrecord's audio capabilities.

                                      ---

Please note that this project is not directed against Joerg Schilling and
his ongoing work on cdrecord. "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery".