[Libburn] Announcing cdrskin 0.1.0, a limited cdrecord compatibility wrapper for libburn

Tiago Cogumbreiro cogumbreiro at users.sf.net
Thu Jan 12 17:30:43 PST 2006

On 1/12/06, scdbackup at gmx.net <scdbackup at gmx.net> wrote:
> I need a tutor and tester for cdrecord audio features. My computer can say
> "beep" and "boap" but nothing else. No speaker boxes, no music collection,
> no livingroom CD player, ... looks like i am not at all musical.
> I am willing to adapt cdrskin to this tutor's favorite cdrecord frontend and
> to change cdrskin's code so it makes appropriate use of libburn features in
> order to emulate cdrecord's audio capabilities.

It would be very interesting to test cdskin as a replacement of
cdrecord for nautilus-cd-burn. I am the developer of Serpentine[1], a
audio-cd writer software which uses nautilus-cd-burn. So if serpentine
works with cdrskin that means that:
 1- cdskin is compatible with nautilus-cd-burner (at least in the audio part)
 -2 cdskin can burn audio cds

As a side note, could libburn be released as LGPL?

One problem I'm facing with serpentine is that nautilus-cd-burner is GPL.

Since GPL is incompatible with patent libraries it's incompatible with
gstreamer's mp3 decoding plugin.

If libburn was LGPL I could change serpentine's license to LGPL and
ship it with gstreamer+mp3 whithout licensing problems.

[1] - http://s1x.homelinux.net/projects/serpentine/

--
Tiago Cogumbreiro <cogumbreiro at users.sf.net>

http://s1x.homelinux.net/