[Libburn] Project revival

scdbackup at gmx.net scdbackup at gmx.net
Mon Jul 31 05:43:38 PDT 2006

Hi,

> the project has been revived and now lies at libburn.pykix.org
> Please post bugs, ask for enchantments/features, etc. :)

Well, libburn could need some increased agility, that much
is true.

> As far as I could understand, the commits stopped two year ago,
> and nothing was happening on the libburn front since then.

There have been changes and enhancements in the beginning
of this year (2006). My own project cdrskin currently uses
a privately forked libburn-0.1.2 or a libburn-0.1.3 from CVS
of february 2006 (with still one private enhancement, sigh).

So it is not dead ... only very slow.
Hopefully some of the maintainers will notice your announcement
and a fruitful discussion can emerge.

> I really don't see this as a forking :)
> We will continue with current codebase, and continue the things that
> were started, nothing else :)

It will be a fork as soon as the traditional maintainers
make a change on their own version.
So in order to be not a fork, it would need coordination.

Being an involuntary libburn forker myself, i can hardly speak
against a fork in general. Nevertheless, i do express my support
for having a unified and stable API and for rejoining the forks
into a common version from time to time.

I myself do not strive for participating in the inner development
of libburn but am mainly interested in getting the needs of
cdrskin into a stable version of libburn. (There are two pending:
my whitelist patch and my wish to burn on-the-fly with data
read from stdin and no need to announce the track size in advance.)

What are your plans about the next enhancement steps ?
Would it be possible to expose a tarball with a snapshot of
the current state of libburn.pykix.org ?

Have a nice day :)

Thomas