[Libdlo] Still tearing my hair out here...

James sammy at sammyjames.com
Thu Dec 17 01:09:59 PST 2009

Hey guys:

So far, I've been able to get libdlo to show test patterns on my DisplayLink DoubleSight DS-90 U. That IS impressive, but I need to get to the next step.

The software that has downloaded to my computer seems to install correctly -- that is, I'm able to compile and build the drivers that have been created -- mostly -- EXCEPT for the displaylink 03 mod. There are numerous problems with this one, because (I'm guessing) I am using Ubuntu 9.10, and not 9.04.

The biggest problem is that I end up with a bunch of errors. I won't bother posting them here, because I've already found the same lines in other posts. But the point is that I beileve that there is either an EDID or an evdev problem. Some component in some library isn't recognized, or maybe there is an environment variable that I can set. I have also tried to enter the nomodeset in grub, which had no effect.

I'm able to see the display flicker at startup, and it comes on, but that's just because it is getting power from the USB port. There is no "green screen" or anything like that. Of course, it is exciting to see the DisplayLink logo populating the screen when I run the libdlo tests -- and no, I'm NOT being sarcastic -- but again, it would be great to see more.

Finally, I don't care to do multi-seat displays. In fact, I HATE dual-monitor stuff. I just want to see even ONE screen showing up on the DoubleSight. If anyone has any recommendations, post it. I am learning a ton about editing Linux files, so if you're patient with me and if you explain exactly where to put some line of code, I can do it. I hope to help out by maybe making it possible to use the existing drivers.

Thanks.
James "Sammy James" Middleton
JSM Instruments
130 South Front Street