[Libdlo] Installing the new Roberto-Jaya DisplayLink driver and getting the Green Screen under Ubuntu 9.10.

James sammy at sammyjames.com
Tue Dec 22 01:30:24 PST 2009

Background

Okay -- if you've followed the messages that I've been posting here, then you know that I'm a musician who is designing a DAW-based computer using Linux. I want to use my little DisplayLink monitor (a DoubleSight DS-90U) as part of the design. In order to get it to work at all, I've been downloading and installing all of the various components to build the driver from source.

My system is different from a lot of end-users and beta testers out there. I am running Ubuntu Studio 9.10 Karmic, which has an rt (realtime) Kernel, necessary for running apps like JackD and Rosegarden. I'm also using a mini-ITX board, with the Intel G41 graphics chipset. My design calls for a smaller and lighter motherboard, with an embedded processor. So I don't want to screw myself up by using nVidia or ATI graphics. Right now, I also couldn't care less about multi-seat or even extended desktop stuff (although eventually, the extended desktop will be useful. Any end-user with my product, who wants a bigger and nicer display, will benefit from such a setup). And dong so with DisplayLink technology is cost-effective and efficient.

Now, with the most recent development (as described above by Bernie) we have a much better shot at getting things to work properly. Follow the steps below, and let me know if you run into any particular problems. Also, I am DEFINITELY only dealing now with 9.10 Ubuntu, and I don't even want to think about Debian, Gentoo, Xubuntu, Kubuntu, Mythbuntu, pure:Dyne, or anything else.

1. Start by updating your Ubuntu system (just in case you haven't done so). Open a terminal, and enter the following text:

$ sudo apt-get update

2. Next, get "git-core":

$ sudo apt-get install git-core

3. Now you are ready to download the udlfb drivers. Type in the following command, verbatim:

$ git clone http://git.plugable.com/webdav/udlfb

Now, the next four steps will most likely be unnecessary soon. But as of this writing, and on MY computer at least, it is necessary to replace the drm_edid.h file that is present in the current distribution of Ubuntu.

4. Open your Home folder and open the udlfb folder.

5. Find the "drm_edid.h" file; right-click and choose "Copy"

6. Open another terminal, and enter:

$ sudo nautilus (this will open a new window on your desktop. Click on "File System," and then go on with the next step.)

7. Click to usr/src/linux-headers [..]./include/drm/ (where [..]. is number that represents your kernel's version)and click anywhere in the window (but not ON a folder). Then right-click and choose "Paste." You'll be asked whether to overwrite the file, click "Ok," and then leave the window after the operation completes. (Note that of course, if you prefer, you can open your Home folder next to the usr/src/.../include/drm window and just drag the drm_edid.h file over.)

8. Open a terminal, or go back to the one that you used to download udlfb, and enter:

$: cd ~/udlfb

9. Enter the following text:

$ make (a bunch of text will scroll along in the terminal window, showing that components are being installed)

10. When you see the $ prompt again, enter:

$ sudo make install (the same kind of scrolling text will occur)

11. Again, wait for the $ prompt, and then enter:

$ sudo depmod -a (I've personally never seen any text display here -- but there is a noticable pause while the computer is negotiating the command that you just entered)

Now you should be able to restart, and when your system reboots, you should see the green screen.

(CAVEAT -- I'm very tired because I stay up all night to work on installing software that works about 25% of the time. So, if I forgot anything here, I apologize, and will rectify the situation by reposting my remarks with the copy appropriately edited. Thank you for reading, and take care.)