[Libdlo] An experience report...

James sammy at sammyjames.com
Tue Dec 22 01:59:03 PST 2009

(This message originally went to Bernie; I've updated and added some stuff
to it so that I could post it as an experience report here.)

I got the green screen. I had already gotten it with the older drivers, but
this was by far MUCH easier to do. Jaya and Roberto are awesome, and I
commend the entire team for deciding to roll the two drivers into one.

Now for the fun stuff...

1. The drm_edid.h file needs to be somehow rolled into the build. People who
don't know about it are tearing their hair out wondering what "bigendian"
and "vactive hi" mean. I spent several sleepless nights trying to figure out
how to overcome that one big problem.

2. The drivers are apparently "working," but they are still not being
recognized by xorg.conf. I have rebuilt that file
> several times (by doing a "sudo X -configure" after stopping GDM) and it
> never displays anything other than the on-board Intel graphics. ]It
> doesn't surprise me though. Looking in "/usr/lib/xorg/modules" I couldn't
> see any "udlfb.so" file, and all of the other files have that particular
> extension. So, either you guys are fixing to use something other than xorg
> (which I would support) or you are planning to revise the driver
> installation. In either event, I'm sure that you know about this -- I'm
> just letting you know that I am paying attention.

3. I can also get a text console, but only if I unplug (literally,
physically,
> yank-it-out-of-the-port unplug) the VGA monitor from the back of my
> computer.

4. At this point (with the VGA screen still out) when I try to do a "sudo
service gdm start" or
> "startx," the display chokes, and I get an error message like this:
>
> [drm:intelfb_restore] *ERROR* Failed to restore crtc configuration: -22

I CAN, thankfully, plug the VGA back in, hit Alt+F7, and get things back to
"normal" -- if by normal you mean that I'm running in low-graphics mode and
have to rebuild xorg.conf so that I can restart and get my GNOME back.

:)

> I have done searches on that error, but everything that gets spat back at
> me has to do with some i915 chipset that I clearly don't have in my
> machine. (I own a mini-ITX DG41MJ, and I'm using the onboard G41 chipset.)
> So, for now, I'm happy to have my "x-mas"  x-org green screen!

:)

Take care all.